1 John 5:18 – Anyone born of God does not continue to sin
We know that anyone born of God does not continue to sin; the One (Jesus) who was born of God keeps them safe, and the evil one cannot harm them. (1 John 5:18)
A little word of explanation:
- to continue to sin: is the translation of ‘hamartano’.
The OLB translates this as: without being a part, to miss the goal, to wander (away), to be wrong.
The Greek Dictionary also translates this as: to do wrong, to make a mistake, to sin.
- keeps … safe: is the translation of ‘tereo’.
This is translated as: to take well care of, to look after, to guard.
- harm: is the translation of ‘haptomai’.
This is translated as: to attach oneself to something, to touch (somebody), to assault.
(It is almost always translated as to touch in the New Testament.)
Here John typifies the disciple of Jesus as one who was born of God:
- who submits to the authority of Jesus
- who lives from the perfect love that the Holy Spirit has poured out into his heart
- who, in the spirit, is completely focussed on God
who does not continue to sin (hamartano):
- who will not miss the goal that God has for his life
- who will not wander (away) or go wrong
- who will do his part in the Kingdom of God
for Jesus keeps him safe (tereo):
- takes well care of him
- looks after him
- and protects him
so that the evil one cannot harm him (haptomai):
- cannot attach himself to him
- cannot touch or assault him.
This believer will be completely protected in the spirit and the realm of darkness will only still be able to have an influence on him via the visible world.
Print this study as a PDF document:
1 John 5:18 - Anyone born of God does not continue to sin.